Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Week 3: Contact!

Week 3: Post emergency phone numbers near each telephone and instruct all family members on the use of these numbers. Designate a relative or friend living outside of BC as your family contact - ensure that they are prepared to man their telephone once the initial 72 hours have elapsed. After a disaster it is often easier to call out of your region as the local phone lines might be tied up.


Excuse me, emergency kit? Yes, hi, I'm sorry to bother you but... AM I EVER GOING TO GET TO PUT ANYTHING INSIDE YOU? We're three weeks into this project and so far all I have to show for it is an empty bin and a blank list of potential food items. Where are the survival items and cans of spam? What about matches and rope and blankets? I would settle for a package of crackers right now!

Some kit you are. What's next week, write a new constitution for the civilization that will arise in the event our current one becomes covered in ash? What I wouldn't give to be able to buy, weigh and record the cost of an ax right now!
Better than my kit.

I have so many issues with this week's post, I suppose we should look at them cynically one at a time. Here goes:

Post emergency phone numbers near each telephone and instruct all family members on the use of these numbers.
You started off well. Emergency numbers are useful. But, do I really need to instruct anyone how to use them? What instructions are necessary? These are phone numbers. You press them with your fingers in the order in which they appear. If you have any questions about this process you are not worth saving during an emergency. Please kill yourself immediately.
Preparednicity is our goal.

Designate a relative or friend living outside of BC as your family contact... After a disaster it is often easier to call out of your region as the local phone lines might be tied up.
I live in British Columbia (BC) and I can tell you that it is geographically a huge chunk of land. Wikipedia says it is 944,735 square kilometers (364,800 sq mi). It's larger than Texas (696,000 sq km) and it's even larger than the entire countries of Germany and France... combined. Yet, I am supposed to prepare for an emergency that would wipe out the entire province? If I lived in Rhode Island I would think this was good advice. If I am in New Jersey I probably have a friend in New York I can call if things get ugly. But all of BC? Keep in mind, I am not taking something designed for use in Vermont and extrapolating it to use in my home province. This thing was created in BC for use by British Columbians!
Don't get any ideas. I'm looking at you, Germany.

...family contact - ensure that they are prepared to man their telephone once the initial 72 hours have elapsed
Is this really necessary? I mean, everyone has a cell phone these days so what's the big deal?

...local phone lines might be tied up
Again, cell phones.

Ok, kit. I am getting tired of these pointless instructions. Next week you better have something good to add or I may have to make some shit up.

During a disaster is not the time to plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment