Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Week 2: Menus?

Week 2: Create a menu for every meal for every day (7 x 3 = 21). Then use the menu to determine what food items you need to include in your containers.

Disasters can strike at any time. That is pretty much the reason you create an emergency preparedness kit. No one wants to get caught with their pants down during an invasion of killer bees.

You are not prepared.

Because this particular kit is designed to be completed over a 52 week period, you might expect that items of highest priority would be completed first; in case the kit is not complete when disaster strikes. Then why, I ask, after two weeks, do we have a container and a menu?

Inflation is a bitch.

What is supposed to go on this menu, anyway? We haven't added any food to the kit! If I get trapped in the earthquake reduced rubble of my home tomorrow I will have nothing to eat except the menu itself.

And this.

Here is where I cheated a bit. I looked ahead to future weeks of planning and there are plenty of food items added gradually to the kit. Phew! For a moment I was worried that I'd have to think of that stuff on my own!

I figure the best thing to do is to make a blank list which I can add the food items to; more like an inventory than a menu. Fortunately this solution also costs me nothing and adds no weight to the kit. Win-win! I don't think I need to do the math for our assumed family of four in this case.

So, our running total is still $8.93 or $35.72 for the fam. Not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment